Thursday, December 16, 2004

Thank You Sir May I Have Another

Another nominee for Worst Christmas Song Ever. This is not only bad it is monotonous. Here we go again, with "Please Daddy (Don't Get Drunk This Christmas), by Bill Danoff and Taffy Nivert :

"Please Daddy, don't get drunk this Christmas
I don't want to see my mama cry
Ple-ease Daddy, don't get drunk this Christmas
I don't want to see my mama cry.
Just last year when I was only seven

Now I'm almost eight, as you can see
You came home a quarter past eleven
And fell down underneath our Christmas tree.
Please Daddy, don't get drunk this Christmas

I don't want to see my mama cryyy-yyy-yy
Ple-ease Daddy, don't get drunk this Christmas
I don't want to see my mama cry.
Mama smiled and looked outside the window

She told me "Son, you'd better go upstairs.
"Then you laughed and hollered "Merry Christmas!"
I turned around and saw my mama's tears
Please Daddy, don't get drunk this Christmas

I don't want to see my mama cry
Ple-ease Daddy, don't get drunk this Christmas
I don't want to see my mama cry.
No, I don't want to see my mama cryyyyyy."

What are the descriptive words that come to mind for this "song": Redemptive? Beautiful? Nostalgic? Peaceful? None of the above?

I don't want to see mama cry either, but I think I'd start drinkin' if I had to listen to this.

1 comment:

  1. i really find this song very sad a lto of memories run thru my head and make me cry

    ReplyDelete