Friday, February 25, 2005

I'll Plead Guilty- And I Sentence Myself To 30 Days At The Bloomington Country Club

John Chaney, men's basketball coach of the Temple Owls, has a reputation of being one wave short of a shipwreck. As some may know in 1994, after U-Mass played Temple, he threatened then-Massachusetts-coach John Calipari, yelling out "I'll kill you" at Calipari's post-game press conference. Cheney was apparently restrained by some of the players in the room before he could get to Calipari.

The other night, when Temple played St. John's, he confessed he sent a "goon" on to the floor to wreak havoc because he didn't like how the game was being called by the refs. First of all, sending out a player to cause the other team physical damage, including breaking an opponent's arm, is a little out there. Then, calling your own player, 6-8 and 250 pound Nehemiah Ingram, a "goon" is going a little further out there. And then, to top it all off, Chaney admits he's done wrong, followed by announcing his punishment by suspending himself for one day.

Are you kidding me? Is this how the world works now? You act as your own judge and jury. Does that make you immune to further prosecution? "I'm sorry, officer, you are correct, that stereo equipment is stolen, but I've already served my time. I was under self-imposed house arrest for the past six months. You can't re-try me for the same crime."

You notice Mr. Cheney is willing to be his own judge and jury, but not his own executioner. At least not this time. He is, after all, knitting with only one needle.

No comments:

Post a Comment