Wednesday, July 13, 2005

All Star Game Thoughts

1. The Cardinals will not win the World Series, barring a trade or two. As I posted last week, the American League is too strong. The Cardinals next to last hope was home field advantage. That is now gone. So Walt Jocketty better make a move or two.
2. How many buns does Jeanne Zelasko have in the oven? Her tummy is growing exponentially.
3. While on the subject of Jeanne, can Fox buy her a wardrobe? There are some options in maternity wear these days. I don't know where to begin, but here goes:
- She was wearing the same dress she did on Saturday's broadcast. What's up with that? Even my aging brain can remember that thing from 3 days previously.
- It's summer time. Are there maternity clothes that are not long sleeved?
- What's up with the poofy shoulders? Is this popular now? I really don't know, but it's like Jerry Seinfeld's puffy shirt.
- I like Jeanne, but I don't look for her to be on the broadcasts much longer. She looks like she is going to burst soon.
4. All of the Cardinals made a good showing.
5. I'm glad Carpenter pitched only one inning. He was fortunate to get out of the first without any runs scoring. And Tony had the good sense to pull him before he would have gotten lit up.
6. Eckstein showed some glove right off the bat in the game. I was glad to see him complimented by Joe and Tim, as he has many detractors about his defensive abilities.


7. Joe Buck's blundering substitution of Carlos Lee for Derrek Lee while reading (maybe the problem was he wasn't reading) the lineups at the beginning of the broadcast I'm sure did not sit well with Cub fans. At least the Cubs are having a stellar year. Oops, that's right, they're not. Well, at least Derrek Lee is not having an historic year. Oops again, I guess he is. My first reaction was, did he really just say that? I kept waiting and waiting for Joe to be corrected, either from McCarver or some behind the scenes guy, but the correction did not come until after the game had started. So for those of you who didn't know, that was actually Derrek Lee, not Carlos Lee, who started at first base for the National League.
8. Joe sure has some funky looking glasses. He looked worse than Michael Douglas in
Falling Down.
9. Thanks for nothing Pedro Martinez.
10. Kenny "Roasters" Rogers got what he probably deserved. Booed and lit up for a home run seems about right for showing up when he should not have. I just hope I don't get what I deserve, because I'm probably farther from perfect than he is. Lord, have mercy on me.
11. The National League is more inferior than even I thought.
12.
The American League will win again next year. So this "This Time It Counts" stuff is really beginning to annoy me.

No comments:

Post a Comment