Wednesday, December 07, 2005

No Big Secret To Me

World Mag Blogs, including the ferocious Lutheran Bunnie, are posting about churches cancelling their Sunday worship December 25th because of Christmas. Some seem puzzled by this.

But it's all elementary, Watson ol' chap.

It's perfectly understandable why a non-Lutheran would want it this way.

A non-Lutheran is much more likely to view worship as something the worshipper does for God. In this scenario, church is work to the worshipper. Therefore, a day off this Christmas is something welcome. Our great God is blessing them with a day off. They're tired of this worship thing.

But if you view worship as what it really is, The Divine Service, then it is all about what God does for the worshipper in his Word and Sacrament. Worship is something God does for us, not the other way around. Therefore, we really can't get enough of it. There's no way I'd miss going to church for anything (unless I'm very sick). I NEED IT.

I can't imagine not going to church on Sunday. In fact, at the church I attend, we also have Wednesday night services. So now I can't imagine not going to church on Wednesday night for worship.

And if we had a worship service every day, I'd be there. Sometimes I wish we did. But this would put an enormous burden on everyone on the church staff.

So, let those who need a break have it. I'm sure they need time off from those things they do. But let me humbly go to worship on Sunday, December 25th, and receive what I get the other 51 Sundays of the year- God's gifts in the Divine Service.

No comments:

Post a Comment