Friday, November 24, 2006

It's Okay To Start Looking

Now that Thanksgiving's been dispatched, you can begin your Scottius Maximus Christmas gift shopping.

The first thing on my list kind of terrifies me. It is, in fact, a cartoon. A Russian movie cartoon from the 1950s. When I was a youngin' during the late '60s or early '70s, I remember it coming on the Early Show, a local "Dialing For Dollars" program from 3 p.m. until 5 p.m. that showed movies.

My mom wouldn't let me watch it when it came on. There must have been a disclaimer at the beginning of the movie saying that young children should not be allowed to watch it. I couldn't understand why I was not being allowed to watch a cartoon. Of all the things not to be able to watch. Usually the movies shown were way over my head. Like "African Queen". What young child watches that? But I wanted to see this cartoon. I remember being a little upset about it. Until...

About a year or two later it came back on again. Of course I was not allowed to watch it. This time I had a plan. I snuck down in to our basement where another TV loomed. Our basement was very dark, and the TV was a black and white. This definitely added to the degree of fearsomeness of the scenes I was about to be confronted with. On the tube I saw some evil ice woman after a couple of kids, and after less than 10 minutes the TV was off and I was RUNNING back up the stairs with the lights still on. One of the scariest things I had seen up to that point, no doubt.

As the years have gone by, I've grown curiouser and curiouser about what exactly this movie is about. So I looked it up on Amazon and IMDB. And at age 43, I think it's about time I faced my demons. So I found it.

Up first on the Christmas list this year..."The Snow Queen."

No comments:

Post a Comment