Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Hit The Ground Running, Part 2


So after watching 1st episode of 'Design Star 3' Sunday night, I hit the play button on the DVR and watched the 1st episode of 'Ice Road Truckers'. Little did I know I was about to witness the most hilarious and at the same time insanely idiotic moment of 2008 TV history. More on that momentarily.

It's good to see they brought back Alex and Hugh. At least there'll be a little competition for 'top dog'- to see who hauls the most and gets paid the most. And the new guy looks good, too.

What I didn't expect to see was the return of two of last seasons quitters. Both Rick and Drew couldn't last the season with Hugh when we last saw them.


I loved Hugh's reaction when Drew showed up- he didn't really even look up. The disdain was palpable. Hugh must have been laughing to himself, "what a joke!"

I'm glad they moved to a different route this year. Driving the same road might have been a little boring. They're even farther north this year, Inuvik, NT, Canada.

So what was the funniest moment of the year? No, not Rick's blue hair. It was Drew's incalculable foolishness. If you didn't watch, let me explain.

The premise of the show is that a group of truck drivers haul mining equipment across winter ice roads in the Arctic. The water, including parts of the ocean, freezes, and roads are cut out of the snow-packed land that is formed.

The temperature on that first day was a balmy minus 32 degrees. Sounds a little cold right?

So what does Drew do?


Drew shows up to work with a briefcase (in case I didn't mention it, he's a truckdriver) and...get this...no coat!

Yeah, that's right- no freaking coat! He states he forgot it at home. His wife had to call him to tell him he forgot it.

Nice packing job, Einstein. Dude leaves for his job within the Arctic Circle, only he forgets to pack a coat.

Heck, when I've packed to fly to warmer climates, I always packed at least a light jacket. Just in case.

But, hey, why bother when you're flying to the Arctic. They're bound to have plenty of things like coats lying around.

I don't know about you, but if I showed up for work in the Arctic without a coat, I'm not telling anyone. Because the pain of freezing to death could never be as great as the humiliation of having to admit to someone I'm the biggest moron in the world by asking them if I can borrow a coat. I'd rather die.

The question, "was Drew ever a boy scout?", has been answered.

He had to borrow one. Needless to say, I'm sure his co-workers think a lot of him.

Then Drew gets mad because the first two days go by and he isn't given a load to haul.

Do ya think the coat thing had anything to do with it?

If I'm in charge, and I'm responsible for putting millions of dollars worth of equipment on trailers and having them hauled by truck over an ice road...do ya think, I mean, do ya really think, I'm putting all that responsibility in the hands of a guy who forgets to bring his coat to the Arctic. GET REAL!

He's never leaving home base for that reason. Oh, and for that other reason- he's already quit again!

No comments:

Post a Comment