Sunday, December 28, 2008

NFL Week 17

Last week finished at 7-7, but the Bears are still alive, so it wasn't too bad of a week. My overall record is 151-85-1. I would have been 2-1 in the games I missed posting. ESPN experts here and here.

Everyone knows the big story this Sunday, and I've spent a season of posts building up to this. There's no sense rehashing what's at stake. This countdown started way back in September. The post of 9/21/08, to be exact, was the first mention of a winless Lions season by me. Now, three months and a week later, we're on the verge of what seemed impossible then.

For some humor, read this article. It contains the single greatest quote of the NFL year.

Lions cornerback Travis Fisher is quoted as saying:
"I think we're going to shock a lot of people with a great game. I feel like we're going to win," he said. "Not to take anything away from Green Bay, but we're a great football team. I know the record doesn't show it, but I'm going to say it.
"

With this as evidence, I think we can all conclude that football players are truly delusional.

If by great, Travis, you mean that you're on the verge of the single greatest losing season in NFL history, then, yes, you are a great football team.

If by great, you mean great in a spectacularly bad way, then, yes, you are a great football team.

And, if by great, you mean a team that will stand in the record books for all eternity, then yes, you are great.

By the way, did I mention that I think it is entirely possible, even plausible, that Detroit may win today?



Atlanta.
New England.
Cincinnati.
Green Bay.
Indianapolis.
Minnesota.
New Orleans.
Pittsburgh.
Tampa Bay.
Chicago.
Baltimore.
San Francisco.
Jets.
Philadelphia.
Arizona.
San Diego.

No comments:

Post a Comment