Saturday, July 28, 2007

Scottius Maximus Celebrity Of The Month



This month, it's Bob Costas.

I loved his retort to Barry Bonds after Bonds had called him "
that little midget man who absolutely knows jack (expletive) about baseball, who never played the game before".

Costas reply? Classic!

“As anyone can plainly see, I'm 5-6½ and a strapping 150, and unlike some people, I came by all of it naturally.”

Hey, Bare, dude...you picked the last person in the world you would want to get in a war of words with! He'll cut you to pieces.

Although not a native, Bob is an adopted St. Louisan due to his ties with booming superstation 1120 KMOX, where he honed his craft before moving to NBC Sports. There he would become an award winning television sportscaster and household name.

We used to listen to him frequently in the late 1970s, and even after moving to NBC TV, he would frequently call in to KMOX on the air. My memory is fading, but I think he would even be an in-studio guest at times.

Many nights as a teenaged ape, I would listen late (after midnight, which was when I had to be home) to his sports recaps, and after the news, his banter with his fellow newsmen and broadcasters. Even then you could tell he had a special talent for communicating. I missed out on a lot of sleep sometimes. But as I have said before, sleep is over-rated.

He has always been very gracious towards his mentors at KMOX and St. Louis. He made his home in St. Louis for a long time, although I am unsure whether he still does or not. You'd need to contact your neighborhood celebrity stalker for that info.

Here's to you, Bob Costas, our July Celebrity Of The Month!

No comments:

Post a Comment