Saturday, January 26, 2008

Canadians Never Die


Nor do they apparently ever really go away.

Which is nice, eh?

The great 3-headed Canadian rock band of the '70s and '80s is once again alive and well with the announcement of Triumph's concert plans and possible tour.



During college I was a huge fan of all the great Canadian Bands: Triumph, April Wine, Loverboy, and to a lesser extent, Rush.

On my first VCR, a "beta" no less, I remember recording one of Triumph's concerts on the new music channel, MTV.

Man, I'm dating myself.

What I'd really love to see is all four bands together on stage in a sort of All-Star Canadian Rock Follies. Which of course will never happen.

Of the four, Triumph was my favorite when I was in the age range of 17-21. I think mainly because of Rik Emmett's guitar work.

But the band I have come to like more than the others as the years have gone by is April Wine.


Maybe it's the name. April Wine is definitely my favorite band name of all time.

Every track on the albums Harder...Faster and Nature Of The Beast is worth a listen. Actually they're worth multiple listens. Music that stands the test of time...well...stands the test of time, I guess.

I think it's the rich 3 guitar textures.

Triumph's news now means all four bands are now, or are planning to be, active in the next year. So as our Western culture continues to decline and die, at least...

We "got that going for [us]...which is nice."

6 comments:

  1. So you liked bands based on the quality of their guitar work, rather than how cute they were? What's up with that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barb!

    I know, it's hard to believe.

    Anyway, how many rock musicians would you classify as cute? Who might they be?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what, Scottius? I thought about it and I can't really think of many. Maybe because I'm not a teenage girl anymore. Steve Perry had a swoon-worthy voice, even if he wasn't cute, and I used to think Louie Weaver of Petra was kinda cute. We shared the same birthday, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barb!

    Thanks for the clarification.

    You were born July 13, 1951? You look younger than 56.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I said we shared a birth*day*, not a birth*year*. And to be honest, the picture of me is an old one - but I like it.

    ReplyDelete