Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Not Really Random Thoughts

I don't do Twitter, but these brief holiday weekend thoughts are probably things I could have twote.

Frustration, humor, and frustration summed up my July 4th weekend.

First was a little frustration.

I was reminded this past weekend that, aside from Halloween and New Year's, Independence Day is about the lamest holiday we have.

Not the idea behind it, but the execution of it.

When else can you get an endless serenade of little neighborhood explosions from the crack of dawn until you're trying to fall asleep that night?

After say, I don't know, the 2nd time you set off a firecracker, doesn't it all just get a little old? Who can sit there all day and light firecrackers? Apparently, some can.

Some of us do not enjoy the seemingly infinite barrage of disruptions in our attempt at a little tranquility. But it never fails to amaze me what entertains people.

I'm not down on fireworks, done professionally in capable hands. I am down on those whose idea of being neighborly is to subject the rest of the neighborhood to what can only be described as disturbing the peace.

Now for a little humor. I have learned to appreciate what a great announcer David Wells is after his performance this weekend.

On Sunday's TBS All Star Selection Show, he attempted to pronounce the name of Hall of Famer Mike Schmidt when discussing Phillies 3rd baseman Scott Rolen's selection to the team.

Only he left out the "m" sound in Schmidt's name. Fortunately, he quickly corrected himself. Since I wasn't sure if I heard what I thought I heard, I hit the rewind button on the DVR a few times, and sure enough, each time I listened I got the same result.

Didn't anyone else hear this?

Thanks for the laugh, David Wells. And big props to him, as well as Dennis Eckersley and Cal Ripken, for not bursting out into laughter.

Finally, back to frustration. Summed up in 3 words. St. Louis Cardinals.

But it was good to see that someone else is fed up with the Cardinals' descent into mediocrity. Boos at Busch? That takes a lot of screwing up.

There. Now I feel better.

Was this too long to be a twit?

5 comments:

  1. Do I have to say this again? :) Try being an Indians fan. Grady Sizemore out for the year, Shin-Soo Choo out for goodness knows how long, our pitchers imploding. I am really wondering how long the spending disparity in MLB will go on. Will we ever get anywhere without the dollars?

    Good to see you posting more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barb!

    Sorry for making you say it again! There's frustration, and then, I guess, there's frustration.

    I'm posting more because I have a new computer. Old one went on the fritz after 7 years, which interferes greatly with posting and visiting. I've also had more time.

    DR!

    That story is a little sad. It's good to grow up, but maybe not too much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you might like Twitter, but some say that posting random thoughts on Twitter leads to less blogging. Actually, the opposite for me. I like the new layout of your blog, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. TK!

    Glad to hear from you, I have been somewhat worried about you. We've missed your blog!

    The thing I have against Twitter is it is not attractive to look at. With a blog you can make it look half way decent (and thanks for the compliment on the layout). Twitter just looks amateurish to me.

    Looking forward to more comments and posting, if you will please.

    ReplyDelete