Wednesday, January 19, 2005

And Now For Something Important

I am a Lutheran catholic. I believe the Bible and the confessions of the Lutheran Church as expounded upon in the Book of Concord. I am a former member of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod. I say former because my local church voted to leave this church body this fall (after a disastrous synodical convention in July 2004) for a number of reasons, including the formation of a new papacy, tolerance of false teaching, and tolerance of syncretism. We are instructed in the Bible to have nothing to do with such people, so we voted overwhelmingly to leave.
Romans 16: 17, "I urge you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them."
II John 10-11, "If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not take him into your house or welcome him. Anyone who welcomes him shares in his wicked work."
II Thess. 3:6 , "In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, we command you, brothers, to keep away from every brother who is idle and does not live according to the teaching you received from us."
I Cor. 5 :6- 7 , "Your boasting is not good. Don't you know that a little yeast works through the whole batch of dough? Get rid of the old yeast that you may be a new batch without yeast - as you really are. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed."
Titus 3: 1 0, "Warn a divisive person once, and then warn him a second time. After that, have nothing to do with him."
There are more passages, but these are succinct and sufficient.


But I still love my confessional, catholic brothers and sisters in the LCMS who have chosen to stay for now. I fear they will continue to be greatly displeased and disappointed, just as our church was, for the "yeast" has now taken hold, and I fear will not let go. I hope I am wrong. God willing, He will show his boundless grace and mercy to the LCMS.

As I have said, I still consider those in the LCMS who fight for the Word, Sacraments, and doctrine of the true church my brothers and sisters. And the website of Pastor McCain at worldmagblog is "awesome, baby", as my buddy Dickie V. would say.

Since the beginning of the year he has been posting on what Christianity is, has begun reviewing the ten commandments as explained in Luther's Small Catechism, posted on Epiphany and the Baptism of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the confession of Peter.


Spend time at his site. I am no theologian, but he is, and it is well worth your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment