Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Mossback Meadow Mittwoch


Presenting another post today inspired by the good folks at Mossback Meadow.

All hail The Cinnamon Bear!

I haven't heard this radio serial in about 10 years. And I had forgotten all about it until it crept in to a post yesterday on Mossback Meadow.

It used to play every year around these parts on a local radio station. I think it was made in the late 1930
s. The daily episodes ran every evening for about 10 or 15 minutes. It usually started the week after Thanksgiving and would run up to Christmas Eve.

As I remember, there were a couple of kids (a brother and sister) who were playing around before Christmas trying to put up their tree or something. There was a Silver Star for the tree that ends up getting stolen by someone, a quilted dragon, or some such beast. The two children set out on an adventure to find the Silver Star, aided by none other than our hero (cue the trumpets)...

...Paddy O'Cinnamon, aka THE CINNAMON BEAR!

He had a thick Irish brogue and a husky voice. Picture Winnie the Pooh crossed with the Lucky Charms Leprechaun.

I also remember there being an episode during the run that could be construed as offensive to Indians, but I may be wrong. But then again I may be right, which might explain why it's not on anymore.

And I think, after all is said and done, Santa Claus somehow gets involved in the story. But here's where the story takes a most disappointing turn, right at the end. (Spoiler alert- do not read on if you are writing all this down and planning to listen to the show).

Right at the end, we find out little Billy-Jimmy (or whatever the boy's name is) and Judy-Suzy (or whatever the girl's name is) have been dreaming. The whole serial was a sham. Talk about a disappointment. If I hadn't been 32 years old when I heard the final episode, I might have had a meltdown.

I believe The Cinnamon Bear inspired that whole Dallas thing in the 1980s, with Bobby Ewing dying one year only to come back the next season, it all being explained away as a silly dream.


Bet you didn't know that The Cinnamon Bear blazed the trail for later serials like Dallas, did you? Well, it's true. And that's what we're here for folks... to x-ray and inform.

No comments:

Post a Comment