Thursday, December 28, 2006

Rocky Review


I've seen all the Rocky movies. The only one I didn't see in the theater is "Rocky V". Which, although by far the weakest in the series, still had its good moments.


When I first heard that Rocky Balboa was being made, I was more than a little skeptical. All I could think of was that scene in "Airplane! II" where there was a movie poster of "Rocky XXXVIII", with Rocky as an old man still fighting.


As the movie got closer to release, and the previews came on TV, however, they had me. I had to go see this thing.


So on Tuesday Lucy and I went to the theater. An action becoming more and more rare as the years pass, and as the movies in general stink even more and more.


A lot of the movie is spent in catchup mode. Filling in details of the man's life since he was last seen way back in 1990. I won't spoil it for anyone, but it is a lot like the first movie at its beginning. Slow starting. Getting to know the characters. Setting the stage for what is about to come.


And it was good. It did not disappoint. If you like Rocky, definitely go see it. Because I do think this is it. The way it ends is much better than the way it would have ended had "Rocky V" been the last of the series that was made.


I would not call the premise of the movie unrealistic, in the sense that any movie could be called unrealistic if you get right down to it.


On the grand scale of Rocky movies, it is not the best and certainly not the worst. But it does entertain.

So, having seen all of the movies, here is how I think they rank for posterity:

6. Rocky V- Rocky didn't even get in the ring for this one. What was up with that?

5. Rocky II- that baby/hospital stuff just dragged on too long.

4. Rocky IV- the "dark" Rocky movie. The only one where I didn't feel better leaving the theater than when I came in.

3. Rocky Balboa- a lot of similarity to the first movie

2. Rocky- probably "artistically" speaking, the best movie, but as thrilling as it was, not the most exciting one. Or the most quotable. Which is why I think the number 1 Rocky film is...

1. Rocky III- Mr. T's lines: "I pity the fool" and "Prediction: pain", among others. Pro wrestling with Hulk Hogan as "Thunderlips." Apollo Creed in Rocky's corner. This movie had it all.

For more Rocky stuff, including the great quotes from the movies, go here.

4 comments:

  1. The only thing I didn't like about this otherwise satisfying Rocky was the storyline about his son, with the usually reliable Mr. Ventamiglia ... It just felt tacked-on .. that's a minor quibble, however, about a flick that almost managed to wipe the simply execrable Rocky V almost completely from my mind

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reel Fanatic!

    You're right about the son storyline. Completely irrelevant and distracting. It was also one of the bad storylines in Rocky V. It was like Mr. Stallone felt obligated to include the son in the story but had nowhere to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice and cool review. I am from India. Still waiting for the Final version to come! Do check out my blog altho its about Indian films!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anshul!

    Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I hope you can see the movie soon.

    ReplyDelete