Friday, July 27, 2007

Stairway To Solos

What is a guitar solo?

By definition, doesn't a solo mean going it alone? I've never understood people using the term "guitar solo". Most of the guitar "solos" I've heard are just musical interludes in which there are no vocals and in which the "lead" guitar features more prominently. But they hardly qualify as solos. Most have drums, bass, other guitars, and possibly keyboards accompanying them.

Let's look at the drums, for example. When someone performs a drum solo, it's just the drummer.

That being said, can anyone really give me a good example of a true guitar solo?

The list of 100 greatest guitar solos ever, compiled from opinions of Guitar World's readers, are, in my opinion, not guitar solos for the above reason.

And while we're at it, although Stairway is listed #1, I don't even believe it is Jimmy Page's best work, let alone the greatest of all time.



I think Jimmy's best work is on the blues song "Since I've Been Loving You" which is track 4 of side 1 of LZ III. This is followed closely by "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" and "Whole Lotta Love", both off LZ II.

No comments:

Post a Comment