Friday, May 30, 2008

It Changes Everything

'It' meaning where you come down on the age of the Earth.

I looked at today's Lutheran Tidbit of the Day in the sidebar-
"Luther said, 'Don't argue with the Devil...he has had five thousand years of experience. He has tried out all his tricks on Adam, Abraham, and David, and he knows exactly the weak spots.'"

Now, if Luther had lived in our day, would he have said the same thing? I hypothesize yes.

I have to believe he took scripture to literally mean what it says, unless the context is obviously a metaphor or prophecy. Meaning, if alive right now, he still wouldn't have problems writing 5000 years of experience.

That's right. I'm claiming Luther as a creationist.

Otherwise, if he weren't, he'd have to write:
'Don't argue with the Devil...he has had thousands (or millions or billions, who knows?) years of experience. He has tried out all his tricks on Adam, Abraham, and David, and he knows exactly the weak spots. He even may have tried his tricks out on Mr. Neanderthal and Rhodesian Man before that, and look what happened to them."

I'm sorry, I just don't see those sentences happening.

I just don't know what you do with anything and everything if the timeline in Genesis is not correct. I believe the whole thing starts to unravel.

I know what science says about the origins of life. And I can imagine what science would say about the Real Presence . But in either case, I don't think we have the option of Biblical unbelief.

No comments:

Post a Comment