Sunday, July 25, 2010

My Kind Of Meeting

I hate meetings. In general, I find them a waste of valuable time, tempting attendees to bloviate endlessly about minutiae.

I probably would have liked working with Whitey Herzog.

Here's a great article by Tim Kurkjian about the greatest baseball man alive, Whitey Herzog, who is being inducted into the Hall Of Fame today.

Finally. And I think maybe at my behest, no?

Below is an excerpt from the article:

"I don't remember him ever having a team meeting except for one time, which Whitey had in front of a thousand people," said former Cardinals outfielder Andy Van Slyke, who played for Herzog from 1983 to 1986. "In 1985, we started out 1-6. At the team's 'Welcome Home Luncheon,' Whitey got up in front of the crowd and said something like, 'I know a lot of you thought we had a pretty good club here this year. I thought we did, too.' Then he looked down the line of players at the luncheon and said, 'It's time to s--- or get off the pot.' Then he just sat down. He was talking to players, not the fans. I'll never forget that."

Short, sweet, and to the point, might sum up that meeting.
Must have worked, too, as that team won 101 games and the NL pennant that year.

And if you haven't read Whitey's book, you're missing something. There are a lot of such stories in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment