Monday, May 30, 2011

Sunday Reading

Ecclesiastes 9-12.


These babies have been in the ground since before 9-11 happened. They're now emerging from the ground and their shells are littering up some of my plants, particularly the tomato plants, although I don't think they've done any harm.

When I saw some on my daylillies, I had to snap some photos of these 13 year cicadas. From my reading about them, they emerge from the ground as nymphs and then molt to the adult stage, leaving behind their shells.



Here's the colorful adult stage.


They look to be a couple of inches long.


Believe it or not, they are a delicacy in certain parts of the world.


Uhh...no thank you.


Now they'll go mate and die. The little ones will make their way into the ground. Only God knows what they'll do down there the next 13 years, but just think of all the things that are going to happen before they emerge again. Heck, it could be Mad Max time the way the world is going.

No comments:

Post a Comment