Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Let Me Tell You About A Real Christmas Gift

John Feinstein's book, "Let Me Tell You A Story" is an interesting read. I have not made it through the whole thing yet because it weighs in at over 300 pages (and I'm a notoriously slow reader as I have a hard time getting my lips moving that fast). The book is actually a compilation of stories from Red Auerbach's life. Having never met the man, I find it fascinating how one can get an understanding of who a person is from still another person's descriptions. Feinstein does an excellent job at this, which is good because he is, after all, A WRITER. But I'm not sure just yet whether I like this Auerbach guy. It seems people fawn all over the man, and I'm not sure why. He was a basketball player, basketball coach, basketball manager, and basketball president. What is it about these professions that would make grown men treat him like a royal? And from what I have read so far, he does nothing to discourage people from treating him like this. In fact, it seems he kind of expects it. Why though? Maybe my opinion will change as I read more of the book. I did want to read the book, but for the stories, not so much for the presentations of Auerbach worship on various holy Tuesdays.

There is a certain sadness that emanates from the man and his minions. I can't explain it, but I am sure it has something to do with the contrast between the world and what it offers, and Christ, and what He offers. I can't help but think that a person in the position of a man like Red Auerbach believes that when he dies, God will smile on all his accomplishments and accolades like the world did, welcoming him to the kingdom of heaven for a job well done. But reading this book, the recurring thought I have is of the rich man and Lazarus (Luke 16:19-31). Which is why this book saddens me so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment