Saturday, March 19, 2005

The Funniest Thing You'll Read All Year


A link to Casey Stengel's 1958 appearance before a Senate subcommittee on MLBs anti-trust and monopoly status was a whole lot more entertaining than what transpired yesterday. Let's not do like McGwire, and let's do go ahead and focus on the past (that phrase itself is "Stengelese"), because it is hysterical. My son and I were laughing out loud reading it. Hats off to Baseball Almanac, via the Cardinals Birdwatch for this. If you can make sense of it, please see your doctor.

And if you don't know who Casey is, LEARN. I believe Yogi learned his verbal dexterity at the feet of Casey. More Stengelese here.

The one quote that I hope won't apply to this year's Cardinals:
"If we're going to win the pennant, we've got to start thinking we're not as good as we think we are."
I don't think this will be the case, but last year the Cardinals flew under the radar and had something to prove. Obviously they can't fly under the radar this year, but they do have something left to prove to all of us who expect a world championship. I hope the Cardinals themselves still believe they have something to prove after last year's success. I was 18 years old in 1982. In my first 18 years, the Cardinals won 3 world championships. In my last 23 years, they have won 0. It's about time. We can make fun of the Cubs all we want to, but an almost quarter of a century without a championship is also a long time, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment