Monday, March 27, 2006

Nice Take


Jim Rome weighed in again Friday on his show about Barry Bonds troubles, which is partially reproduced on his website.

"I have always had a sneaking suspicion that Barry Bonds listened to the program. You might recall me saying for the last 10 - 14 days that if I were Barry Bonds, and a book was written about me, that was going to tear down all my accomplishments, tarnish my legacy and call into question the legitimacy of my numbers, and it wasn’t true, I’d be screaming from the rooftops. I explained I’d be looking to sue everyone who had anything to do with that book; the authors, the publishers, the slugs selling it at Barnes and Noble, the people buying it and I wouldn’t leave out the lumberjacks who knocked the trees used to get those alleged lies on paper. I’d get the best attorneys money could buy and I’d go to battle.

No sooner than we got off the air yesterday, the story breaks that Bonds is suing the authors of Game of Shadows and the publisher. However, and here’s the catch, he’s not suing for libel; he’s suing because he believes the authors illegally obtained materials. He’s arguing that laws prohibit people from possessing grand jury materials unless they are unsealed and authors Mark Fainaru-Wada and Lance Williams, “have made a complete farce of the criminal justice system.”

Notice, what Bonds is not saying! The guy is not saying what the authors reported isn’t true. He’s not saying the accusations are false, he’s saying they illegally obtained documents."

No comments:

Post a Comment