Thursday, June 29, 2006
Certain songs one hears are associated with certain memories. Sort of like a soundtrack.
I also believe certain odors one smells will bring back memories. Sort of like an "odortrack".
- Asphalt always reminds me of 1st grade, because when I started 1st grade the playground at my school was being asphalted.
- There's a perfume that will always remind me of my grade school teachers. I don't know what it is called, but I know it when I smell it. Thankfully, all of my grade school teachers were women, or I'd really be messed up.
- Leather always reminds me of my first new baseball glove.
- Certain plastics remind me of Christmas mornings, when a very distinctive odor when emanate from all the new toys. No doubt all were found to be carcinogens.
- Wood reminds me of shop class in 7th grade.
- Wet towels remind me of gym class.
- Fresh cut grass reminds me of my grandpa's yard that took 2-3 hours to mow each week. At least he had a John Deere to ride.
- Diesel fuel exhaust reminds me of Six Flags amusement park. I'm not sure why. It also reminds me of the airport.
- Cigarette smoke reminds me of Busch Stadium.
- Cigar smoke reminds me of my grandparent's house.
- Pipe smoke reminds me of my next door neighbor when I was young.
There's one smell I miss that I think is gone forever. That would be the mighty mimeograph paper.