Sunday, January 13, 2019

Double Doink And The Chiefs

I am finally recovered from last week's Bears playoff loss.

I hate to place the blame for the loss on one person...but...doinking field goals was this guy's specialty this year.

I just knew he wasn't going to make that FG...I saw it on his face as he took the field.  I tried to wish it in, but just knew deep down what was going to happen.

And it did.

That said, the Bears' defense bended too much to win the game.  I was very surprised by that.  It shouldn't have come down to a last second field goal.

And the offense looked a little off, too.

Conclusion- it was a team effort loss.

So I'm out of any rooting interest this year.  Kansas City is the closest team to me by geography still left, so I'll probably root for them.

I was hoping Indy might win, but I'll take it.

Because with KC's win, I finally get to post about something I have wanted to for about 4 years, but was waiting for the right opportunity.

And that time is now.

In 2014 I watched a series on YouTube that originated I guess on a cable network.

It's about the history of the AFL.  And no team in my lifetime epitomizes the AFL more to me than the Chiefs.

You see, I was born in 1963 and am too young to remember Super Bowl III.  The year the AFL officially became a legitimate power.

I remember Joe Namath and all that, and I remember him being a big deal, but I really didn't pay any attention to football in early 1969.  I was in kindergarten.

But I definitely remember Super Bowl IV.  I was all set to watch the Vikings clobber the Chiefs.

In my six year old mind, I had the odds of the Vikings losing to the Chiefs at near infinity:1.

I've posted about that game before, so I'll spare you the details.  Go here if you want to read about it.

Anyway, the leagues merged after that game, and the AFL was dead.  But my lasting memory of the AFL is of the Chiefs as champions, not just of the AFL, but of football.

My other memory of the AFL is of the Raiders and their rivalry with the Chiefs.  Naturally, I always rooted for the Raiders due to my Chiefs hatred.

But something funny has happened as time as gone by...I actually have grown to like that Super Bowl IV Chiefs team.

Mainly due to my liking of Hank Stram after he started to broadcast games, a lot of times on the radio with Jack Buck.

Anyway, I'm going to post that AFL history series over the next couple of weeks.  It's really a fun and informative documentary.  I learned a lot about the AFL and the early history of some of the NFL's more storied franchises.

Hope you enjoy it.  I sure did.  Try to watch it on full screen if you can.  The uniforms are awesome!

This is the football, very late '60s, early '70s, that got me hooked.



And I can't wait 'til next year...Go Bears...


No comments:

Post a Comment