Sunday, January 20, 2019

This Was Football

What you won't see today.

Mud, clotheslines, late hits, piling on...real football!

I've been watching a lot of old football clips from the late '60s and early '70s, as a result of the Showtime AFL series I am embedding.

The 2nd part of the AFL series, while worthwhile watching, is a probably the weakest of the 5 installments as far as star power.  But the stories are great fun!

Who goes to a desert dude ranch for training camp?!!  Rats, snakes, tarantulas...and the scariest thing of all...the non-working toilets.

Fun to see Jack Kemp and Ernie Ladd, though.  And Bill Belichick and John Madden.

Ernie Ladd.  My memories of him are really as a professional wrestler in the '70s which I watched on Saturday or Sunday afternoon All-Star Wrestling.  He was huge, I believe he was 6'9"...loved the crown, and the "Promises Promises" warm up.




He was a heel, though, and I never rooted for him that I can recall.  I was a Dick the Bruiser fan, and it seems he usually wrestled against him.

I am including as a bonus video the 1968 AFL Championship game highlights.  This is the famous Jets team that won Super Bowl III.

I think the Raiders team here, coming off a Super Bowl loss the previous year, would have won Super Bowl III against the Colts as well.

Loved those white and silver unis.


Enjoy both.

No comments:

Post a Comment