Saturday, January 01, 2022

So Let's Try This Again

It's been almost 8 months since I posted anything.  Not a record, but not what I envisioned for 2021.

At the beginning of each year, I try to set a few goals to keep me from being a slug.  Last year I set a very high posting goal for this blog at 100 posts.

Let's see...how'd I do?  Sixteen you say?  Well, at least I wasn't even in the ballpark and fell just short.  Such things are deflating when you come close and still fail.

Once I realized I was going to fail on this one, I guess I went big.

The rest of my goals weren't so bad.

I actually hit my push up and squat goals in early September.  I finished the year with 15,000 of each.

I have no idea how many steps I took, because things took a major change for me last year in the phone area.  

I stopped carrying my phone with me.  I would sometimes go days without even checking it, only to see it was dead.  (I highly recommend doing this if you can).

And since I was using my phone to track my steps, I no longer tracked them.

However, things took a dramatic turn for me last year regarding my overall health and fitness.  In addition to the above body weight exercises, I added significant amounts of weight training as well as now walking and running.

Last year I wrote the following:  "I'm getting a little slower, a little grayer, a little less strong, and a little less energetic...I am honestly exhausted."

By the grace of God, I can honestly say that is no longer the case. I am faster, stronger and more energetic than I was a year ago.  And I don't know how, but I think I am less gray.  Thank you.

I did well with reading.  Finished the Bible around Thanksgiving, reading 4 chapters a day.

Would like to get in more reading this year, in general.

As far as specific goal setting, here is what I think is realistic:

1- 15,000 push ups and squats

2- 10 books

3- 50 blog posts

4- Run my first 5K.

5- Recite the Lord's Prayer, The Creeds, Luther's morning and evening prayers every day.  I can't believe I haven't done this every day.  Maybe I should just read the Treasury of Daily Prayer every day.

6- Listen to Issues, Etc and morning chapel every day it's available.

7- Get up at the same time every day.  I had been doing this for 10-15 years prior, but last year I became a little less rigid about it.  That was a bad idea.


As always, Deo Volente.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on improving your quality of life, Scottius, as well as working on spiritual growth. Last year I lost weight, very slowly, but just on diet alone (fewer carbs, more protein.) I'm hoping to continue that this year, and add some exercise/weight training to the mix. A blessed New Year to you and Lucy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barb!
    Happy New Year!
    Thank you, and awesome to hear of your success! It's encouraging to have others fighting the fight with you. Lucy is doing well and has been more diligent than me through the past couple of years. I will post a little more about what I have specifically been doing as the year goes by, I've read and listened to some really good things that have paid off after implementing them.
    Blessings to you as always, great to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you haven’t completely given up blogging. It’s enjoyable to read your posts from time to time. Hopefully you are well.

    ReplyDelete