Tuesday, January 05, 2021

Tuesday Reading And More Flood Stuff

Genesis 13-15.
Matthew 5.


I have the Lutheran Study Bible and one of the footnotes on Melchizedek from today's reading states that the early church fathers and even Martin Luther "associated" him with Shem.

I don't remember ever reading that anywhere, even though I have read this multiple times, but if it were true would be kinda cool.  So, to test whether this theory is even possible, I pulled out the ol' reliable Timechart Of Biblical History.  There are some pretty cool charts on that resource that put forth timelines.

If you don't have this, you should.  Remember yesterday when I mentioned the basement of the Ark Encounter being their bookstore?  Well guess where I bought this book?

The timeline is a treasure trove of people, blood lines and contemporaneous events. 

By studying the timeline, I am happy to report that not only was Shem alive when Abram walked the Earth, but he was also alive at the time Isaac was born!  And the Great Sphinx was built.

No wonder Abram treated him like he did- it may have been his great-great-great-great...OK, I am too lazy to try to calculate how many greats I need...grandfather.

So it is very possible this legend could be true.

It helps when you live over 500 years.  You sure get to see a lot.  Not sure I will make it, though.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment